The Western Australian Government is releasing land to create a pipeline of housing developments that will address the current critical shortage of social housing and meet the future housing demands of our communities.
The Housing Diversity Pipeline is part of the State Government’s $2.1 billion, four-year program to improve the quality and accessibility of social housing in Western Australia and includes the delivery of 3,300 new homes. This project has been established to encourage new residential developments close to METRONET Stations and major transport corridors, with the sites located on:
- Brown Street, Busselton
- Cecil Avenue, Cannington
- East Street, East Fremantle
- Albany Highway, Kelmscott
- Merrifield Avenue, Kelmscott
- East Parade/Guildford Road, Mount Lawley
- Gwenyfred Road, South Perth
- Brearley Avenue, Redcliffe
- Thomas Street, West Perth
Dynamic Planning is very familiar with the East Street, East Fremantle site which is part of this release. Our team played a critical role in amending the Town of East Fremantle’s Local Planning Scheme to allow for additional development potential at the site, whilst remaining respectful of the existing surrounding built form.
Local Planning Schemes (LPS) set out the way land is to be used and developed, classify areas for particular land uses and include provisions to coordinate infrastructure and development within the local government area. Amendments to the LPS’s occur for different reasons, such as:
- a change in zoning to accommodate a different type of development
- a change in the assigned R-Code, generally to increase the allowed residential density in the area.
- a change in the LPS’s text provisions around development or subdivision controls.
- to correct any administrative inconsistency or error.
Proposals are sought in relation to the Housing Diversity Pipeline project that will deliver innovative, quality mixed-tenure housing developments – including social housing – on the eight Government-owned sites in the Perth metropolitan region and one located in the South West region.
The State Government has opened an Expression of Interest (EOI) process calling for innovative development proposals that will deliver quality mixed-tenured housing to these sites and we look forward to seeing the projects continue to unfold.
For more information, please visit: www.wa.gov.au/hdp-eoi